Tuesday, June 12, 2007

  BrandonLee023's "Vending-`Membring":  

        "COPS @t Wrigley..."       

As I've said in the past, or as Snagglepuss used to say "As I always say, sometimes"  ...if you wait at the main gate at Wrigley long enough you'll see everyone in the world.  

Well tonight I saw about six different police officers that I had worked with or knew at the game, some with their families and some out with the guys.

We all exchanged pleasantries- I got congratulated on my retirement a few times.  I don't see why that merits congratulations; all it means is that I got old and quit my job.

While selling programs today, a family of six- two adults and four children  (a Brady Bunch looking group- which probably means second marriages for both) bought four scorecards (and pencils) from me.

As I was making the lady change from her $20, the husband says "Does that include the super-super-super-duper police discount?"

I responded that the police discount was built right into the price, just like at the F.O.P. store.  This mooch didn't realize with whom he was toying.

I learned that both he and his lovely bride are officers and both receive a premium pay for what they do (which is to be forced to take a plum assignment). This premium pay amounts to about $250 a month more apiece than I got when I was so employed.  

Rather $250 a month a piece more than a similarly tenured officer who didn't get premium pay and had a crappier job (like me).

I informed him that it was likely, judging by their apparent ages that I retired with more time on the job than they had combined, so trying to BS me wasn't going to be an easy task for him. He didn't argue when I gave him the figures about my 29 years so I figured that he and the luckiest girl in the world both had less than 10 years apiece.

We said a friendly goodbye and I bet he learned something. Maybe not.

Additionally they ran out of scorecards tonight when they were selling at a brisker pace than most nights so even though I made a decent buck I could have made more if they were on the ball.

Riding to work, trying to stop for some candy for the cashiers,  I sort of tripped on my bike scraping my shin on the pedal. I had blood on my socks and my right leg.

Anyway, I'm gonna try to sleep...

Your Pal, Brandon

No comments:

Post a Comment