Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Fwd: Yes, it was definitely worth it

Begin forwarded message:

Date: March 8, 2006 10:10:20 AM CST
To: Tim O'Grady <togradysprint@earthlink.net>
Subject: Yes, it was definitely worth it


33,000 in attendance to see USA vs. Mexico. I can tell you this, no one just going through the motions. They wanted to WIN! Peavy was throwing in the mid 90's as was Nathan (struck out the side).
It was an exciting game as USA won 2-0 on solo homers by Lee and Jones.
So, $25 to sit 9th row to see A-Rod (yes, is IS playing), Jeter, Lee, Winn, Utley, Peavy, Jones, Griffey, Fancouer, Damon, Barrett, Timlin, Cordero, Lidge, Young, Wells, Teixeira, and Schneider play.
 "I had more butterflies today than any playoff game or other game I've ever been in," said Team USA third baseman Chipper Jones.
Good feelings were seemingly all around on Tuesday. Anxious fans -- many of whom supported Team Mexico -- began filling the promenade outside Chase Stadium some three hours before the first pitch. They blew horns, rattled noisemakers, waved flags; did anything they could to express their excitement.
Some wore Mexican T-shirts, others draped themselves in American flags. Yet others covered their bodies in paint. It felt more like an international soccer match than a baseball game. Walking into one entrance an hour-and-a half-before the first pitch: a guy wearing a Derek Jeter Yankee jersey next to a guy wearing a Mike Timlin Boston Red Sox jersey. They gave each other five.
Two other fans with split affections, Chris Eleiott (Yankees) and Paul Adams (Red Sox), expressed themselves by covering their bodies in Wal-Mart house paint. The two college students from Olivet Nazarene University in Illinois were in Phoenix for spring break.
"I'm not quite sure everybody is as pumped up as we are," said Eleiott, a mini American flag painted across his face. "But we've been jacked about this for a while. It's sick. Have you seen the U.S. lineup? It's so sick. Ten to 20 years from now, this is going to be huge. And I'll be able to say I was at the first one." (and so was Jake).
"This was bigger than any World Series win I've ever had," said reliever Mike Timlin, who picked up the win. "This is my All-Star game, my Olympics, it's just awesome. I was watching Jake [Peavy] those first few innings, and my hands were sweating like I had dipped them in a bucket of water."
Timlin wasn't alone.
"I wanted to win this game with every single thing I had in me," Peavy said. "You don't understand -- you just don't understand what it's like when you put that uniform on. I've never had a better feeling in my life. It's the coolest thing I've ever done as a baseball player."
OR
I could have paid $18 to have the same seats at HohoKam and see the Cubs lose to Texas 6-5 and watch: Wilkerson, Blalock, Nevin, Dellucci, Pierre, Pie, Perez, Walker, and Cedeno. I could have seen Maddux throw 2 innings, walk 3, and strike out one.


CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail message including attachments, if any, is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential and /or privileged material. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message. If you are the intended recipient but do not wish to receive communications through this medium, please so advise the sender immediately.


Yahoo! Mail
Bring photos to life! New PhotoMail makes sharing a breeze.

No comments:

Post a Comment